Monday, December 1, 2008

First 5k

I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving. We changed it up a little this year in order to avoid all the driving we would have to do in the DFW area to visit all the family up there. It was a good Thanksgiving and we had tons of fun.

The morning of turkey day I ran my first 5k with my friend Kristy. I have been training for a half marathon for the past 8 weeks with my friends Ami and Kristy. This was a very good point in the training program to get some "race" experience. Oh man was it a learning experience. I am so glad I did it. I ended up having a little bit of a hard time. It was so humid outside which made it very hard to breath. There were 950 people running this 5k, and the tons of people running past me was a very big distraction. The mob of people kind of made me run at a faster pace than what I am used to, which is not always a bad thing, it just made it even harder for me to breath. (These are all my excuses as to why I had to walk a few times). I was so heartbroken that I had to end up walking some. I have been running 3 miles at around 40 minutes in our training, and I finished the 5k at almost 41 minutes. So tonight's run was 3 miles and I was so mad that I hauled butt (for me of coarse) and finished the 3 miles in 36 minutes. ha!

Anyway, here are a few pictures from the big race day.



3 comments:

Jennjilla said...

No matter what, I'm still very very proud of you! You're a great big sis!! Way to go, you'll do great at the big race so keep up the hard work!

melanie said...

that is great! i am so happy you are having fun running. i trained for a marathon after i had avery, and it is probably the one thing i am most proud of myself for accomplishing (but i will probably never do it again!!). anyway, i'm glad to know you're a runner. maybe after my baby comes, and i start getting back in shape, i can join you sometime!

Mary Glenn said...

Congrats on your first race!!! And this is just the beginning, soon you'll be able to run and run and run and it will feel so exhilarating. It's awesome that you're doing this and getting to enjoy the experience with friends!