Friday, February 26, 2010

Chevy

Dec. 1994 - Dec. 2009



My doggie Chevy went to doggie Heaven on Christmas Eve. I got her for Christmas in 1994. She was just a tiny little puppy. I named her after Clay's first truck, a white '64 Chevy Step side. I was 14 years old. She has been through so much with me.
Well this past year, I could tell that she just wasn't the same old Chevy. She didn't play as hard, she slept a lot, and then within the past few months she started coughing pretty bad. So I took her to see the doggie doctor and he couldn't figure out why she was coughing. So he took some x-rays which revealed a huge tumor in her chest. He told me she might make it 6 more months. Well she made it about 1 month.
She started getting really sick one day so I took her to the vet. We couldn't really tell if she was dieing or if she just had a bladder infection. So he gave her a shot and told me that I would know what to do by the morning. How can you decide that it is time for your dog, whom you've had for 15 years and is apart of the family, to die? I did not want to make that decision. So I begged Chevy to either show me a better sign that she needed to go, or just please go on her own. Well, at 4:00 a.m. Christmas Eve morning, she started crying with every breath. I told her ok, we'll do this today. Then around 8:00 a.m. we were getting ready to take her to be put down, and I was just watching her. She walked to the back door with her head held up, and her tail wagging. I let her out, turned to tell Clay something, then looked out the window and she had laid down in the grass to die. I ran outside and put my hand on her and felt her heart beat for the last time. I was heart broken and relieved at the same time. This was what I had prayed for, she did what I asked her to do. She went on her own terms, at her house with the ones who loved her around her. I will forever miss my sweet doggie. I love you Chevy.
Spoiled Rotten
Our Christmas Card 2005
Always ready to play

2 comments:

Preben and Ellen said...

ohhhhh. :( this makes me so sad! i'm like crying! i'm so sorry rachelle! it's so hard to lose a family member! it's so nice she went peacefully. what a cutie and i know a good pal to have around. pups are the best companions ever. my parents still have our childhood dog and he is 16...i'm just dreading the day when he goes to doggie heaven. :( i'm so sorry again.

melanie said...

i am so sorry, rachelle, that breaks my heart. i can't imagine how hard that must have been for you to go through. dogs are such loyal, fun companions, it's like losing a family member. i can't wait to hear when your little man gets here!!! keep me posted, i'll be praying for a wonderful "birth" day for you and him!